Old 05-17-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Mango212
Life is good

The scars of domestic violence are usually deeper than those from other types of trauma. Prolonged abuse that occurs in the home, the place where we are supposed to feel safe, leaves a different kind of scar.

For adult women and men who are or were in an abusive relationship with an intimate partner, domestic violence counseling offers help to:

Assess the lethality of the situation

Focus on developing and implementing a safety plan

Connect the victim/survivor with effective resources

Offer emotional support and domestic violence education

Abuse may be emotional, psychological, verbal, physical, spiritual, and/or sexual. Counseling can be face-to-face with a counselor. Or, it can be in a support group for women with other abused women, facilitated by trained counselors. Some centers have groups or individual counseling for abused men.

All services are free of charge and confidential

Each time I called, I received understanding, kindness and acceptance. It took some time before I decided to meet with in person help. I wasn't judged or bullied about this.

No need to hurry. I was given all the time I needed on this journey. That was ultra-important. To learn to trust my own instincts. The listening of others who understood this greatly helped. I heard good information and options available to me.