View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 08:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
biminiblue

My problem is I have always been that loner chick. I'm an only child and I like my own company just a bit too much.

I get it about wanting to have someone to come over and chat - but everyone I try to spend time with ends up with some weird extreme view, like all they talk about is Monsanto or diet choices, or saving whales (just an example, not that there's anything wrong with saving whales) or they just want to vent about their husband/BF/family every time we are together. I don't want to hear it. There seems to be no filter anymore, no ability to have polite conversations that don't come down to gun control or politics or some other not-suitable-not-appropriate conversation. Seems everyone is looking for a reaction these days.

I think I only want to be with people when it involves some activity with multiple people...kayaking, hiking, community gardening. Something that keeps the conversation away from personal angst. That doesn't really seem possible in one-on-one at home talks. I've always been that way though. I try not to even get into conversations at work, because they inevitably devolve into the other person and their TMI about their sex life (or some other thing I have no interest in hearing.)

Here's my how-to-be-friends one liner:

Don't complain.

~Maya Angelou

Maybe this is why I'm a loner chick.