View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
wynwrights

I had lots of that stuff a little while back and I’m currently right in the middle of what I assume is PAWS round 2 (100 days sober tomorrow). If I told you I had an anxiety attack at 5 this morning where my body felt like it was made of concrete, no word of a lie, you might think I was exaggerating, but nope: it happened. I also have headaches, a sense of impending doom and a general feeling of existential malaise; oh, I also have nausea. I had a full physical a month ago and I mostly checked out in rude health with the exception of slightly elevated cholesterol. Some say that PAWS is a result of untreated alcoholism (dry drunk syndrome, for want of a better expression), but I’m willing to bet the symptoms that a fair few of us have directly relate to the neurological sh*tstorm that happens when we stop filling ourselves full of booze. There has to be a readjustment as alcohol has a significant impact on neurotransmitters and the brain needs to re-find homeostasis.

That was a bit long-winded, so to be more concise: your symptoms don’t sound of the ordinary so you can probably be reassured that things will get better eventually (and particularly if you’ve checked out OK physically). Even if PAWS is not an actual thing, it’s kind of a moot point: alcohol is filthy poison and, if you fill yourself full of it for long enough, damage will be done and the body can’t heal itself overnight. But with time it will, so either way you’ll likely start to feel better soon. Hang on in there!