View Single Post
Old 10-21-2005, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
theNAway
Livin' the NA WAY

The best bet is to see your Dr. You already have an underlying condition - the intestinal damage. I wouldn't risk it.
When I got dope sick, I too lived in the bathroom, either in the tub or on the toilet.
Especially if you are coming off a relatively low dosage of opiates < 120mgs a day.
Immodium works because it is chemically similar to opiates. It is actually one off from being an opiate. But it binds the same way, which stops you up. I had a pretty regular routine with it, taking it a day before I would get sick, and continue until I knew I could get more.
So if that is not working, I would definetely see your Dr., especially with your other condition.
I also know a buddy who was addicted to Tussin and had some of his intestines taken out since he drank so much. He now has to be careful with what he eats, as well as what medication he takes.
Be careful and seek help before something else crops up.
Also, be sure to take in a lot of electrolytes. I would usually drink gatorade, slim-fast, and take vitamins because I was too sick to eat, and had the runs so bad. It REALLY can clean your system out quick when you have the runs. Eating better, sooner, will help to get through the malaise.
Hope you seek help and feel better,
Chad H.

Skylar's retraction was a great thing. In my humble opinion, sub/bup and methadone should be saved for severe cases, and Rxed on a case by case basis. The bottom line is everyone will eventually have to be detoxed off them as well.
And methadone withdrawal is insane. Although of course, when I got on it, I thought, I just won't take it as long, or as much as those guys who keep saying how bad it is...that of course didn't work.
I then tried suboxone and that didn't work. Trying the "easier, softer, way" from the other program.
In the end I had to detox off of them both, then the dope, then the pills when I finally got clean.