View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 03:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Red78

So hard to take that step

I'm struggling to convince myself fully to stop drinking altogether. I've had several bouts of sobriety, some small some big.
I know i need to stop but the issue is that although it rules my life and I am addicted too it, I'm not physically addicted and im not a drunken mess every night nor have a hangover everyday. It causes issues in my life and aways has. I've been drinking for 25 years daily except for my stints of sobriety, 6 mths twice and then 1 month.
My work colleague who I am close to was talking to me today about this, she pointed out that I am an alcoholic, maybe not by societies standards but one none the less.
I said about not having the physical addiction(this is by some grace of God by the way as I used to drink 1-2 bottles of wine a night) and she said, you a just one step away from this at any point.. this got me scared, she is right, this is progressive and what happens if it does get worse..
How can I convince myself to stop altogether? Or do I just commit to a smaller time frame, one day at a time.
Why does addiction have to be so hard..