Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Soberdelicious posted awhile back that it seemed strange that some folks have a beast and others not. I'd like to be straightened out on this. I thought everybody was born with a beast, namely a lizard brain. This is described in Trimpey's book Ch.10. And I understand that the theory is that when a person drinks a lot (maybe because he or she just likes the buzz or for whatever reason) the beast checks in with that, does what it can to perpetuate the fun, keep the party going, etc. and goes upstairs to be the folks in the conference room and get them to look in the file cabinet and get lots of wonderful reasons for the addictive voice to argue in court as to why I should drink. So maybe I put the beast back in its cage and ignore it for awhile. What might the beast do then? Seek pleasure in some other way. Say load up on some extra desserts. Interesting! I often wondered why some of the old timers at meetings who had, they said, years and years of sobriety, seemed like they were maybe 100 pounds overweight! I can hear that beast talkin' ("Give me another shovelfull of that chocolate pie!")
One more thing. All of this sounds familiar. Didn't a lady in the White House awhile back say, "The only thing you have to do is just say no!" Is that what you're saying we do, Terminally? Just say no and all will be O.K. Easy as that? I remember that my struggle with getting free of alcohol was the toughest, scariest, roughest thing I ever had to do. And no way did I have any assurance that it was all going to come out O.K. That it would be a piece of cake (there's that cake idea coming back again- back in your cage, Beast!)

W.