Old 09-11-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Just curious AVRT, do you acknowledge any days as significant? ( birthday, wedding anniversaries, death of a loved one,etc) I notice many acknowledge even a day like today (9/11). Often marking a day as somehow significant acts as a simple nod to the past. An acknowlegdement that a change has taken place, that things are not as they once were. It doesn't have to carry any more significance than that.

To celebrate a sobriety anniversary would imply that I am somehow acting out of character by not drinking
Interesting way of looking at it. I don't look at it like that. I celebrate my children's birthday because I am glad they are here. My life has changed because they are here. I am no longer exactly the same person I was because they are here. So follows the same line of thinking for me with the date I quit drinking. Celebrating their birthday doesn't keep them alive, nor does celebrating my quit date keep me sober.

I understand your POV though. Different paradigms at play.

It would be like having a party because I haven't hit myself on the head with a hammer in so many years.
hmmmm...sounds like a great reason for a party to me. I have held the belief for a long time now that the world would be a far better place if everyone ate a little more cake

I never drink, period.
The one thing we never disagree on AVRT.