Old 09-09-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
P.S.for Terminally (sorry for any redundancy!) Would I be correct in concluding that this program consists in "outsourcing" the desire to drink to its origin, namely the Beast. "I", namely my conscious self, has been for years tormented by the Beast, which resides in my midbrain.
Yes, outsourcing is one way of looking at it.

Tormented in the sense that my conscious self didn't sufficiently realize that it had a beast to train and that this animal was playing all sorts of tricks to get its own way for years and years. So it's time that we get in a little bit of dog training, pit bull that is, and say to the Beast, "You're the one who wants to do the drinking. Not I!"
That is correct. The insight is that the Addictive Voice appears to be "you," and so you tend to follow what it says as if they were your own ideas. The key is to dissociate from all addictive desire by recognizing the addictive voice, which is the expression of that desire, which in AVRT is called the Beast.

And we're not going to do any more of that. You'll have to be satisfied with something else. (But that presents further problems- what might the Beast want to do? Better keep a close watch on this creature and do some real serious crate training.)

W.
Careful with the "we's" - the point of AVRT is to separate yourself from the Beast. You aren't going to drink. What might the Beast want to do? Why, drink, of course! Who cares what it wants to do, though? It can't control your arms, legs, or muscles, can it? Only you can do that.