Old 09-09-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Terminally: Thanks for this thread. I've got a copy of Jack's book and am reading it with interest. I am particularly interested in one thing. That is any recent scientific evidence of how alcohol or other addictive substances affect the more primitive parts of the brain, such as, perhaps, the so called "midbrain" (discussed in Chapter 10 of the book). I am under the impression that this happens and that the "inner voice" which Jack refers as coming from the "Beast" originates in or is largely influenced by this primitive part of the brain.
Yes, there is evidence of this. It is usually referred to as the "Lizard Brain" theory of addiction.

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Subjectively I feel that, despite years and years of sobriety, there is something there which tries to "set me up" and cause me to act against my best interests. Did Freud happen upon this when he referred to the "Id."? A sort of inner child? Pleasure seeking, selfish, duplicitous?
What intrigues me is that, despite my years of sobriety and my being quite comfortable with not drinking, despite all that I still sense that there is a "Beast" there which has to be watched carefully. I've built a sort of doghouse for it and keep it tied out there. Needless to say I don't put any booze in its water bowl or doggie dish.
In my experience, once the brain has been physically altered by the alcohol and the Beast of addiction has been born, so to speak, it never completely dies. It may go away for a while, and it will become weaker, but it can also come back.