Old 09-09-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Terminally: May I add one further query about Rational Recovery? In reading this book of Jack's I sense a certain ambivalence about the necessity, or even advisability, of meetings, group discussions, etc. And I see by Googling Rational Recovery sites that this has become an issue in some cities, such as Boston, where there have been several meetings but where it has been said some of these meetings may be discontinued. So my question is this. What's wrong with meetings? Does this have to be a "loner" Big Plan? I've found meetings very helpful and for the most part enjoyable. Indeed, isn't this website, SR, a sort of a meeting? Am I not "meeting" with you and the others on this thread? I can't see how this does any harm or is somehow inconsistent with the basic principles of any Big Plan.

W.
The Rational Recovery Self-Help Network no longer exists, and there are no longer any Rational Recovery meetings anywhere. Some where not happy about this, so they regrouped under the banner of SMART Recovery. SMART covers much of "old school" RR, with the RET/REBT materials, but not AVRT.

AVRT is a distillation of the methods addicted people have used to naturally quit on their own. Trimpey literally "lifted" the method from addicted people he was in contact with for 17 years or so, augmenting his own experience. He has often referred to it as "street-wise" recovery.

As for meetings, RR advises against associating with other people who have not quit their own addictions. You know that if you put a bunch of addicted people together, for long enough, there's a good chance that eventually they may do what comes naturally. I've seen it many times.

It's up to you, though.