Old 08-26-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
The addiction treatment field, though highly profitable, is still largely unregulated. Furthermore, addicted people are highly vulnerable to manipulation, and they tend not to look very far for help. There are plenty of hucksters out there who will happily take advantage of this. This can be applied in all aspects of life, but my advice is to trust your instincts. If something doesn't make sense to you, don't attempt to believe it.
So true and so sad...I didn't even realize it was happening to me until I decided to listen to that sniggly feeling I was getting. I know the sniggly feeling well, precisely because of another aspect of my life. My son has autism and let me tell you...when parents are desperate they are vulnerable to all sorts of quackery and mind-f*%&ing in the form of fear...people or institutions that prey on the vulnerable disgust me (and I'm a pretty open minded person, but that one sticks in my craw) The same is true for people starting to seek out answers for their addiction. The only beef I have with AVRT is that Trimpey implies if not outright states that other ways are wrong and the alcoholic will inevitably fail . I get the logic, I follow his arguments, I even agree with many of them, but still it's his opinion stated as fact. I'm wondering if that could be as damaging as the other guys. Otherwise, he's pretty on the mark. yep...it's true...I don't drink. not ever.

I like this thread so much because it's bringing to light another way. AVRT, I appreciate the manner in which you have responded to my posts. I think you will be a good thing for fellow travelers...if nothing than to just get folks to think...and begin to trust themselves.