Old 08-26-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
I never tried to quit before I actually quit, so I hadn't been through the recovery and relapse ringer or had a reason to think critically about different recovery pathways.
This is the service that Trimpey is providing in his book - the parts not strictly about AVRT that some people seem to find objectionable. He is providing informed consent to addiction treatment. Trimpey worked as a social worker for decades, and he has extensive first-hand knowledge of the addiction treatment industry. I too thought that he might be making things up at one point, until I actually saw many of the things he talks about firsthand.

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
I just showed up at a local rehab (picked out of the yellow pages!) and trusted the counselor they assigned to me, who was a long term AA member and who definitely tried to steer me away from RR.
People often do, making up all sorts of things about AVRT, the classics being that it is about moderation or willpower. I've heard countless variations over the years. My personal favorite is when people try to "pretend" to have read the book, particularly on Internet forums. They almost always blow their cover by citing only from blurbs or Trimpey's blog, though.