Old 08-22-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by ru12 View Post
This rings true for me as well. I simply decided that I won't drink again. Ever. Under any cirucmstance. I too see it as a moral issue. When I drink I cause the suffering of many: my family that frets and worries, society in general and me in particular. AVRT formalizes what I sort of did alone.
This is a common feeling. AVRT is essentially instruction on planned, permanent abstinence, based on the way that people have naturally recovered from addiction throughout human history, now made available by Rational Recovery for contemporary use. The knowledge is not "new" per se, and even today, 75% of recoveries occur naturally, without any type of treatment.

In the present addiction treatment and recovery ecosystem, though, this knowledge on precisely "how" to quit, although often sought by addicted people, is very rarely taught. I recommend AVRT simply because it is a lot easier for me to pass along this knowledge using the materials from Rational Recovery, but I could certainly teach it to someone else without them if I really had to.