Old 08-15-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
and AVRT...i must respectfully disagree... Trimpey does in fact openly discourage conventional views on addiction/treatment...
I know he does, so I don't see where we would be in disagreement. He does not view addiction treatment as any more effective than the way people have normally quit. It should be noted, though, that current views on addiction are hardly conventional - addiction was traditionally viewed as sin.

...and most certainly openly opposes group support of any kind...
he goes on to give "facts" as to how other approaches doom one to failure. Not only can you do it alone...you must if you want to "truly" recover.
He certainly does oppose group support, at least as pertains to quitting an addiction. His underlying assumption is that to rely on anyone else for your abstinence necessarily creates a condition for failure. What happens if you lose the support for some reason, for example? What then? Do you drink again?

I will grant that he is dogmatic in that respect, though. He does not appear to view those who continue to rely on support for their abstinent state as being recovered. Whether correct or not, I don't know. I imagine some people benefit from support without it being a necessary condition for abstinence.

He does exactly what he faults others for doing.
To a large extent, he does, and I've said before that he appears to me somewhat reactionary.