Old 08-15-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Vlad

Originally Posted by BodhiTree View Post
Like you, I just quit drinking on my own using pretty much AVRT though I didn't know it as such.
I'm another one.

I'm not near smart enough to understand the psychology of AVRT or the other techniques. I simply chose not to drink.

I gritted my teeth and said over and over in my head, "I choose to not drink." "I will not drink." I used pictures of my kids to remind me why I was changing my life. I changed all of the desktops on the computers I use to my kids. I put kid pics on my keychain. I glued kid pics on a Mardi Gras coin and kept it in my change pocket. I put kid pics in my wallet. One wonderful afternoon a picture taped to my dashboard kept me from going into the liquor store after I drove there.

I discovered AVRT about 6 months in. Trimpey helped me organize what I was already doing. My beast is a tough b@st@rd. I still sometimes hear in my head "What a tough day that was! You work so hard and deserve a drink to help you unwind," or 'What a wonderful day. Let's have a couple of drinks to celebrate."

"I choose" is powerful.