Old 08-12-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
interesting...

I came across Jack Trimpey's website a couple of years ago and I found it really interesting. I liked the idea of the beast model because it very much reminded me of the buddhist way of looking at attachment and overcoming attachment/hindrances in order to be free from suffering. I am in agreement with the AV being seperate from me and simply not feeding the beast...by acknowledging but not engaging with or in anyway feeding the beast, he dies. Hence, no craving, white-knuckling, etc. I also encountered this similar concept in cognitive therapy settings, so I really don't see AVRT as such a huge paradigm shift.

I am constantly reading, thinking about, discussing any and all paths to freedom and I personally do not subscribe to one single approach. I find that so many things overlap and if I approach with an open mind I will find things that make sense to me and things that don't, things that work for me and things that don't...in fact reading/learning/hearing something I disagree with is good for me because it makes me think...it makes me question...and for me that's important.

So, THAT SAID...for me parts of AVRT work really well but to be honest I really can't see having a true and real discussion about AVRT without at least acknowledging that Jack Trimpey is a dogmatic as those he opposes.
peace,
SD