Old 10-16-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by AprilMay1895 View Post
If AVRT works so well and is so easy, then why is it so under-practiced? You always hear people say "I've been sober for X number of years in AA or X number of years with SMART" but other than on this website have I ever heard anyone say it about AVRT...or even say that they "just quit" on their own. If this were really the cure-all for addiction, why are so many people still addicted? Wouldn't this spread like wildfire?
It will no more spread like wildfire than the cold turkey quit smoking methods will, even though the majority of long-term ex smokers did just that. There is also no money in self-recovery and planned, permanent abstinence. The folks over at whyquit.com, the Internet's leading smoking-cessation web site, tried to get the federal government to provide their free information on educated cold-turkey quitting, contained in the free eBook, "Never Take Another Puff" (NTAP) to the public, but you won't find NTAP listed on any federal government quit smoking web site. You will, however, find many plug-ins for Chantix, Nicorette, and other pharmaceutical products.

As for not hearing about it, you won't hear about it, simply because people who quit on their own don't go around advertising. To use myself as an example, there are a few people in my life who have expressed amazement at my ability to quit drinking, seemingly without help. They just can't imagine how a seemingly hopeless drunken mess can just up and quit, and they have actually asked me how I managed to do it, but I never actually told them I used AVRT. I just told them that I quit.

Originally Posted by AprilMay1895 View Post
And yes, I know this is my addictive voice. My Beast doesn't like 1-step solutions. But humor me...other than Trimpey coming off a smidge looney and highly accusational against AA, why is this method not headlining on the news?
Rational Recovery did once get lots of media coverage, when it had the RR Self-Help Network (now SMART Recovery), and was featured in every major media outlet. When RR ditched the meetings and focused on providing information on AVRT instead, it lost some of its media appeal.

Right now, it seems like you are "program shopping," looking for something that will produce results, but behind the scenes, your Beast is gathering evidence that nothing works for everyone, and that hopefully, nothing will work for you. Your Beast is definitely afraid of one-step solutions, and it wants you to believe that you are hopeless, doomed to drink forever. You are missing the entire point of AVRT, though, which is not something that works on you and produces results. You are likening AVRT with treatment, ie, "I tried [insert tretment], that didn't work, and now AVRT isn't working, woe is me."

AVRT is just you, your self, your identity, your free will, and when you believe in AVRT, you believe in yourself, your self-direction, and your freedom. If you doubt AVRT, you are only doubting yourself. AVRT is not something that works on you, it is something that you do, by looking at your hands and realizing that only you, and not your body's desire for alcohol, have control of your muscles. If you really believe that you are powerless over your desire for alcohol, or beyond human aid, though, there is a program out there that might appeal to you more, and the people in it will be more than happy to welcome you. Their door is always open, and their hand is always there for the newcomer.

Some people need to try every type of program, treatment, and therapy in existence before they can grasp the simplicity of AVRT, and I am not here to convince you to quit drinking. Note that simple does not mean easy, however. I will just say that if you keep drinking, you will probably end up where you are headed, and you likely know the risks of doing so better than anyone else can. I hope that you make the wise choice, and that you become a miracle rather than waiting for one, but the choice is ultimately yours alone to make.