Old 10-09-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
freethinking
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post

In AVRT, we actually practice craving on purpose in order to bring the Beast out from hiding, expose it, and learn that it is genuinely powerless. There are a few sections in the "RR:TNC" book that address this, specifically, the "Shifting" exercise on page 202, "Aggressive Listening" on page 205, and "Attack Your Beast" on page 206. The "Relapse Anxiety Grid" on Page 190 is useful for these exercises, and it might be a good idea to bookmark the page with a paperclip to refer back to.

The shifting exercises are a radical departure from AV anxiety. In AVRT-based recovery, we don’t have relapse anxiety, because it is always an example of the AV itself, and we don't fear the AV; we welcome it as a sign of robust health. This is very different from traditional approaches, and may sound counter-intuitive at first, but it is what will allow you to walk free, without fear of triggers or slipping. If you are having relapse anxiety or are afraid of the Beast, try the exercises in the book.
I did this last night. The weather out here on the east coast (U.S.) is beautiful and warm and we had dinner at a restaurant on the lake. Normally, my husband refuses to order any alcohol around me even though I know with anyone else he would have a beer. last night I asked him to please go ahead and have a drink or two. I was so glad I did. The Beast did not come out full stop but it did rear a little bit and I just sat there and observed it kicking around in my head a bit. Then it passed.

I have never done this in the past and while I cannot explain why, in my gut I feel this exercise helped me in the end.