Old 10-08-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by AprilMay1895 View Post
Oh TU, if it were last week, that'd probably be the correct assumption that I'm looking for a cop out reason to drink. I'm really actually looking for some hope that you don't need to hit any sort of rock bottom or have alcohol kick the crap out of you some more...because I really can't take anymore of it, kind of at that "desperation" point lately.
OK, here you go...

YOU DO NOT NEED TO HIT ANY SORT OF ROCK BOTTOM IN ORDER TO QUIT.

My curiosity is to see if people who get "bit by their Beast worse" so-to-speak before they stop drinking, end up having an easier time dissociating or even telling off the AV.
Possibly, in that it might spur them to action initially, but that alone is unlikely to work in the long run. This is because the Beast is undeterred by pain or loss. It will forget all the "bad stuff" soon enough, no matter how bad that stuff is.

What makes me wonder about this is the part about viewing your addiction as immoral to give an extra kick in the ass to the beast. If you ran into a severe moral conflict, such as maybe driving drunk with your child in the car before you decided to stop drinking, it would lead me to assume that telling off the AV would be much easier.
Again, this is not necessarily so. I've talked to many people who hurt others while driving drunk, and it did not deter them at all. One man I talked to killed his eleven year old daughter while drunk, and he still kept at it for a long time afterward. It only changed when he finally decided that he was done. There is a woman here on SR who says that she killed her best friend of 25 years, and she also drank for a while afterward.

...and if this were true, it might explain why it seems I could not control the AV(not that I haven't done immoral things due to my drinking, just nothing I've had hardcore consequences for) and that I should consider a different method to achieve abstinence rather than get back into AVRT again.
You can certainly consider another method, but just so you know, most of what you wrote above here is your Addictive Voice itself, injecting doubt. All self-doubt is the AV itself.