Old 10-07-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
Yes, to me "period" means THAT'S IT. Done. Overwith. NO MORE. To me, I will never drink/use again means that I am a permanently committed non-drinker/non-opiate-user.
Then don't worry about it. Your "Big Plan" is yours, not anyone else's. Indeed, RR recommends not telling anyone else about it. Your recovery is for you to know about, and for others to find out about.

That term drove another poster mad recently and exploded into an argument of whether I am a "real addict" or not. The implication was whether I am a disease victim or not.
Next time someone tries throwing the disease theory at you, try reminding them that the disease theory of alcoholism/addiction defines addiction as a primary disorder, meaning that it is not a secondary symptom of anything else, and therefore there are no "underlying issues" causing it that need resolving in order to quit. It works even better if you link to the official definition from NCADD, which explains what "primary" means.

For those determined to continue identifying addiction as a disease, AVRT still works.
Of course it does. AVRT will naturally expose how you view the disease theory versus how your Beast sees it (as an excuse to "relapse"), but when people say things like "my disease is talking to me, trying to trick me," they are doing the same thing that is done with AVRT. They are objectifying the desire to get drunk or high.