Old 01-11-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
FT

I am not an expert on AVRT but, to me, taking a "taste" of wine would not affect my being a non-drinker in the least. It would be a little like a vegetarian deliberately evaluating the quality of the steak tartar, but if you've been a non-drinker long enough, there will be times where you are "accidentally" given alcohol in some form. I've been given drinks in restaurants that I had to taste to see if they were non-alcoholic, if I could not smell it, and therefore reject the drink just like a vegetarian would who tasted a dish that was discovered to have meat in it.

When you are a non-drinker, you are a non-drinker. It's not rocket science, and it's not even a moral issue -- at least for me.

I'm in a profession that involves LOTS of toasting, and it's never been an issue. I do share the toast, and in the absence of sparkling cider, I just lift the glass to my lips without "drinking" it. I've allowed wine to wet my tongue at times in such toasts, but so what? And I've certainly been at thousands of meals where wine was served, and the glass of wine sits next to my glass of water, which I also may not drink. But then I don't eat the sweet potatoes either, even though the hostess may heap them on my plate! I've never been offended about those damn sweet potatoes, but sometimes I've been tempted to complain -- ha!

Now, this question takes on a whole other tone if you start talking about stuff like opiates, for which I have also used a form of AVRT. Opiates serve no real purpose in my universe, except as a medication. No one is likely to pass me a plate of opiates at dinner, and if they did, I would complain loudly.

It might be an interesting, and maybe even amusing story to share with RR mates, nothing more.

I'm not entirely sure I am getting the point of this question. Because to me, in answer to the last part, all of this is pretty meaningless, since this is not a contest but a personal choice.

FT