Old 01-11-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Peta View Post
What about when I suspect the Beast trying to get a hold of me in other areas?? How do I know if it's the beast or just an acceptable desire for tasty food, affection etc

Is the distinguishing factor if the desire would have us act in a way that contradicts with our moral compass??
In a word, yes. Your body will tell you from time to time to do things which are not necessarily in your best interests. This doesn't mean that your body is "bad," since it has no concept of morality, and is therefore innocent. Kind of how my cat is innocent for killing a mouse or a bird, even if she doesn't eat it. The cat is just doing what comes naturally, and has no concept of "I shouldn't kill this bird because even though it is fun, I'm not really hungry." Unlike a cat, though, we have the capacity to recognize that just because something might feel good, it doesn't mean that we should do it.

Ie I feel like having sex with my husband (all good and no contradictions there)

Versus I want to pursue the attention I'm receiving from a work colleague because it's pleasurable and exhilarating (this contradicts with my moral and spiritual convictions so it's beasty)
If you have decided that for you, pursuing such attention outside of your marriage is not something that you will do, then you can simply recognize that desire and objectify it as "not you," since you don't do that.

...surely if we give into beast in other areas of or lives beast will grow Stronger in trying to get us to drink as well
Although in the past I have found that doing certain things, such as smoking cigarettes, inevitably leads to the AV saying "well, now you've done it, you've smoked, so why not drink, too?", that is easily recognizable. The Beast is ultimately not strong at all, since you hold the cards, and have the last word. That's not to say that it won't try and convince you to drink, but it can't move your muscles and make you drink, only you can do that. If you don't drink, though, then that is that, and who cares what that stupid voice says?