Old 01-05-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
kanamit

Originally Posted by Thrifty View Post
I am really getting so much out of this thread. I just finished part one and have learned a lot. I know it's been mentioned here before, but I am really interested in hearing from people who have read the Easyway to Stop Drinking book as well. I read it several times and it has really helped me shift my thinking about every aspect of drinking.

For example, my thinking about not drinking several years ago: My husband and I went away for a weekend trip to NYC and right before that he found my secret stash so he "forbade" me to drink for the entire weekend. I was miserable the whole time, feeling deprived, feeling like I wouldn't have any fun at the clubs, feeling jealous of all the drinkers around me, feeling like I lost my best friend forever.

Fast forward several years later and after reading Allen Carrs book: We went away for a weekend with non drinkers and I was so excited at the prospect of an alcohol free weekend, I finally felt that I got all the message, that everything we've been made to believe about alcohol has been a scam. I was elated instead of miserable. Same situation, totally different mindset.

However, the beast doesn't seem to care that I got the message and I'm ingesting poison. It is indeed primitive and wants what it wants when it wants it. I was really discouraged when I still had a desire to drink after reading Easyway, but I think the missing piece for me was AVRT. Any more thoughts from people who have read both books?

We come from very similar backgrounds. Feel free to PM me or start a separate Easy Way thread for anything non-AVRT so we can keep this one solely AVRT.