Old 12-18-2011, 11:35 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
wellwisher

Oh, no, Dylan, I wasn't responding to you! I was taking up TU's invitation for others to join the discussion!

I was merely referring to the need to try something because I was one who spent many, many years (wasted years, by the way) of contemplating the act of abstinence, but I didn't actually DO it. I fumbled around blindly, setting myself unattainable quotas and limits, half-hearted attempts after particularly bad episodes that were short-lived, and all the rest that goes with not saying enough is enough. I spent a lot of time trying to get myself out of my pickled brain with a pickled brain. It was a merry-go-round of disaster.

I had to make a personal declaration that I would never drink again in order for ANY attempt to stop drinking work. As a matter of fact, I had a counselor tell me that I exhausted her with all the plans I had to quit drinking but she noticed that I never actually did; even after all our sessions together.

What I was trying to say is that no matter what method you use that you really have to look that addiction in the eye and address it head on; and that requires action.

So don't bow out of the conversation, and if I caused you grief, my apologies. It really wasn't directed at you.