Old 12-09-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
kanamit

I have a question regarding telling others about AVRT.

The book clearly states that your Big Plan is no one else's business but your own. However, it seems if you go on the face-to-face course in the US you are advised to bring a family member along.

So:
  1. Would you tell an addicted friend about AVRT if it meant disclosing the fact you were formerly addicted? (Assuming they didn't know of course—and you were uncomfortable with them knowing)
  2. Would you tell your spouse, partner or immediate family member about your Big Plan?

For me, no one knows anything at all. I managed to hide this and get it nipped in the bud years before things got ugly—and I count myself very lucky. Not even my spouse knows and I plan to keep it that way.

However, if a friend got addicted I would feel compelled to help them with this but I would have to find a way of doing it that didn't get me into trouble. Unfortunately, with commitments, etc I have in life it would be detrimental to me to admit I got help for drinking.

I'd probably say, 'I know someone who really raved about this book' and buy them a copy.

This is possibly a bit of an odd point but I'd be interested to know your thoughts.