Old 05-16-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
Dalek

Smoking

Well, this certainly sucks...

I've started smoking cigarettes again after a very long hiatus. It didn't take very long at all to get hooked again real good, either. This wouldn't be too bad ordinarily, but my employer has a policy whereby smoking or chewing tobacco is strictly forbidden while on the job or in front of clients. It is just a matter of time before someone catches me sneaking a puff and I have to answer for it.

My Beast thinks that I have a very good sob story to explain and justify this reversal of intent, and that the no smoker employee policy is completely unreasonable. The Beast says how dare they discriminate against smokers, and why hasn't anyone passed a smoker's rights law yet anyway? We'll show them — we'll just get a new job! Yeah! Oh, and since you are smoking again, why not start drinking again, too?

I haven't heard this much AV head noise in a long time, but I do recognize it, loud and clear. Certainly brings back memories. So, why am I posting this on here and not in one of the smokers support forums instead? Well, I know how those tend to work, and I know that everyone would absolutely understand why I had a little relapse, since anyone would smoke under those same stressful circumstances.

That's not going to work for me, since AVRT really ruins the relapse business. I wouldn't even be able to believe that I had a relapse. No, I let the AV get a hold of the pronoun "I" when someone had a cigarette available, and then I, not the Beast, bummed one and smoked it. I later proceeded to buy a whole pack and very stupidly smoked that too. I know what I need to do, and that I need to do it very quickly.

I don't need the usual support right now, but if anyone is up for dishing out a proper AVRT-style reality check and attitude readjustment, please do.