Old 03-03-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
For any Christians reluctant to post here...

I realize that since this discussion thread is in the Secular Connections forum, some of Sober Recovery's Christian members may be reluctant to post here. While AVRT does indeed have many secular fans, this need not deter those who are not, since AVRT is perfectly congruent with Christian repentance. Traditional recovery paradigms often create a needless secular/religious divide, but AVRT avoids this by design.

Originally Posted by Gaetano Salomone, M.A./M.Div., and Jack Trimpey

Rational Recovery has developed a highly sophisticated, effective method of self-recovery called Addictive Voice Recognition Technique® (AVRT). It is a simple tool anyone can use anywhere, anytime to quit addiction to alcohol or street drugs — for good. AVRT is based on the understanding that self-intoxication is voluntary behavior for the explicit purpose of obtaining the pleasurable effect of the substance. As such, addiction is viewed as a self-indulgence rather than as a psychological coping mechanism. Using a simple diagram of the healthy human brain, we teach people that the desire to drink or use drugs arises from pleasure centers in the midbrain, where the pleasure-driven survival drives, e.g., eating, sex, breathing, etc, also exist. An addiction, far from being a disease, is an errant survival drive which propels some people toward self-destruction. From this animal, pleasure-seeking side of human nature, arise purposeful thoughts of drinking or using. In AVRT, the sole cause of addiction is the Addictive Voice (AV) which argues endlessly and convincingly to continue the use of alcohol and drugs. AVRT short-circuits this process by objectifying the AV as not-self, i.e., “not I, but it,” which wants to drink/use. (“The thing I want to do, I do not; instead I do what I hate.” Rom. 7:15)

RR names the desire for intoxicated, sensate pleasure “The Beast.” This is a direct reference to the biblical understanding of the demonic, which also satisfies the scientist’s demand for congruity with what is known about human physiology. In the same way that Jesus brought the demons under his control by naming them (Mark 5:9), so can human beings bring the animal side of their nature under dominion by objectifying the AV as the inner enemy (i.e., “Satan,” the opposer, the accuser). The mastery of one’s bodily desires is the highest aspiration of all civilized religion. AVRT is a precise map of the awesome process of regeneration outlined in ancient scripture.

Copyright © The Journal of Rational Recovery
Nov. - Dec., 1997, Vol. 10, Iss. 2
All Rights Reserved

PS: If you are a secularist, and the above text makes you squirm, deal with it.