Old 03-02-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Bob36

I have a couple of questions-

1) I quit alcohol b/c it was a trigger for cocaine- and cocaine was causing me to drink well beyond my former habit- which was a mere two beers after work.

2) In London I enjoyed the cask beers. I have it in mind that the next time I am in London (next year) I want to drink. I plan to drink in pubs.

So- first question- is that so fundamentally incompatible with AVRT- given the contingency doctrine that is well articulated here- as to be considered completely ill advised. (even as I type this I realize no one can answer that but me- but still-Id like to hear thoughts)
Ive seen that played out in discussions here- just not quite particular to my "big plan" I don't consider a planned episode of drinking to be incompatible with a daily commitment to not get drunk for a year before that or after that. I consider it a commitment to moderation.
And who knows- that year could change my mind into being less tolerant for that contingency. Anyone with experience in this.

Ok- second question. I understand the polar opposition of I and IT- and appreciate that it is key to interjecting a rational response to an animal drive. I find it wonderfully liberating as opposed to hand wringing every day as to whether my 'disease' is progressing. I find it so liberating in fact that I have fired every drug user in my business- harsh I know, but I decided that I wasn't interested in being around it AT ALL. so now Im sort of ******- but happy and really feeling freed up on many levels I hadn't anticipated. However; the discussion of music and bars etc got me thinking: The same area of the brain which becomes perverted into finding pleasure in things that kill us also can be retrained and reintegrated into driving us to reach out for healthy pleasures- that part of the brain (Im beginning my reading on this and would like to be corrected if wrong) is very close to areas involved in appreciating and making music.
So, question- what if anything do yall do in terms of reintegrating the beast into a healthy part of the brain? Is there research on this? What have been your experiences. I have now been off of my two drugs of choice for the longest time ever- for 20 years I have 'tried' to quit weed, and for a year coke- I haven't had so much as a craving since making this commitment with this understanding and it feels great. look forward to learning more.

Any perspective on either of these questions? Thanks