Old 02-26-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
I'm just starting out with AVRT, and I have a question...

I feel like if I say to myself, "I'm not ever going to drink again," as my Big Plan, that I'd be lying.

Just being honest.

(I'm still reading through the first chapter of Trimpey's book, so of course, this very concept could be covered at some point later in the book. Still, I wanted to get everyone's feedback on this.)
Pages 141-143 in the book ("The Echo Effect") address this question of yours. The Addictive Voice will tell you that you are lying to yourself, but you can't actually lie to yourself. Lying requires at least two people — the person telling the lie, and the person hearing the lie.

You can only successfully tell a lie if the person hearing it doesn't already know the truth. You, however, being the one saying it, know the truth already, so how can you lie to yourself? You may be able to lie to others about this, but you already know if you actually intend to quit or not.

Keep reading, and bear in mind that your Beast is reading over your shoulder as well, looking for loopholes. You're not even on chapter two and your Beast already senses danger and is attacking your confidence and your ability to tell the truth.

Perhaps your Beast knows something you don't that is making it scared so soon? What could it possibly be, though? Could it be that AVRT is really bad news for your Beast?