Old 02-19-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Booniecat View Post
Wow! Did I ever get a reaction from the AV in my head. It is still trying to undermine and I really am not sure what to do. AV tactics keep shifting:

"No one can see the future. How can you say never."
"You have tried and failed so many times before."
"You are going to be so bored"
"How about getting your doc to prescribe some Valium to take the edge off"

And on and on...

Does the AV voice ever shut up?
Shutting up whatever AV was in my head was not something I wanted to do to quit drinking, speaking for myself. When I quit back in 1981, there was no AVRT until 1986, still though, I applied the general technique of separation of myself and my so-called alcoholic mind (ie my Beast/AV). This recognition of separation is an ideal awareness to re-experience again and again, and is in itself enough to keep alcohol free, with a BP in place. This does not speak to quality of life issues, which is something different altogether, is my experience. In July of 1981, I quit alcohol and claimed I would never ever drink again no matter what. I have accomplished what I started, and using other means and ways other then AVRT to address my life challenges, I went on to totally improve my quality of life since quitting drinking. AVRT was not required to improve my quality of life directly, although of course not being drunk was the essential and required beginning to creating the achievements of a quality life. There is more to life then simply quitting drinking.

People have been quitting alcohol addiction by self-recovery efforts for centuries already. Jack Trimpey has really eased the strain and confusion of quitting with his research and documentations of what he coined as AVRT. Amazing achievement!

AV is a normal experience. Nothing about it bothers me or causes me discomfort. It takes time and effort to reach this kind of indifference, and when reached, the rewards are obvious: freedom and peace of mind, no less.

So for me, in my early days, the more AV I could recognise, the happier I was going forward. I've no desire to not recognise my AV, and so I've no desire to shut it up either.

I hope this can bring you a sense of accomplishment when you next time recognise your AV. Perhaps learn more to let it go, and get on with your own purposes, is what I suggest rather then struggling with doing something about it. There is no requirement to do anything else after your AV is recognised -- just let it go. Eventually you won't care about it whatsoever, and yet you'll still recognise it without difficulty.

Welcome to the thread!