Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Obladi, I think I know what you are saying, that we need to be alert for the AV to the extent that we need to maintain a tuned ear looking for the voice of the beast.

I think AVRT is a specific instance of mindfulness practice, but I don't think we need to become aware in any particular manner. The Big Plan serves to strip away all the shrubbery and AV hiding spots so that no special awareness is required. The more conviction your Big Plan has, the easier this becomes.

JT mentions the process of making your Big Plan into a moral issue for you, and this brings to bear your entire core of being into your conviction. I know an SR member who lost her husband and 6 week old daughter in a split second to a drunken driver who ran a stop sign in a residential neighbourhood at 80 miles per hour. Three people died in that instant and the carnage was horrific. By considering that I might drink again, I imagine that I could conceivably drive while impaired. I have done it before, I am sad to say. I use this experience of my friend to mean that if I were to drink again I would be putting other's lives at risk, others like her infant child and her husband, her childhood sweetheart. This connection makes me ill. Drinking ever again is now a moral issue for me, and I need no special awareness to detect that Voice.

As Dalek suggested, we now have an unconditional sobriety, we no longer need to do anything in order to stay sober. I am done drinking now for good.