Old 09-08-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Dalek

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
Man, I so agree with you Dalek. I know you're right.

But I also totally get what Obladi is saying about being on firmer ground in recovery.
I hate to nitpick, R&A, but this is an AVRT discussion, so it comes with the territory. There is no "in recovery" with AVRT. It is simply a stage of addiction, whereby the problem has been identified, but has not yet been resolved. AVRT-style recovery is not a process, but an event, and you are either recovered, or not. There may certainly be a build-up to that event, some period of reflection prior to it, but it is an event nonetheless.

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
I initially did it one day at a time, because I didn't know better... For many weeks, "never again" was more of a hope or ideal for me than a solid commitment. I tiptoed up to it.
I imagine this is the case with more than a few people, but it doesn't change the fact that it can also go on forever, or that waiting to build up enough confidence in one's ability to abstain is AV. You may have tiptoed up to it this way, but many who consciously leave the option to imbibe open, waiting for the right time to quit to 'just come', simply go back and forth between episodes of using and not using. We've all seen the revolving door, on forums and elsewhere.