Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Dalek

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
What I'm saying is that remorse can keep me sober for a few days. I want to get beyond that period in order to be confident that I am making a long term plan rather than acting out a knee-jerk reaction.
A large part of the AV's "job", if you will, is to create doubt and uncertainty about one's ability to abstain long term. This is why, with AVRT, we set our confidence level for lifetime abstinence arbitrarily at 100%, and then recognize all self-doubt as the AV itself.

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
I think it does matter when you make a Big Plan. It's a big deal.
It is indeed a big deal, and I don't feel it is productive for me to press you to decide at this point, but I will suggest that you go ahead and put a temporary plan in place, what you called a "little plan", and then decide one way or the other. It's up to you how long that temporary plan is for, just as long as it isn't open ended. If you leave it open ended, without a deadline, your AV is just going to keep telling you to put off deciding forever.

This is only a suggestion, based on my understanding of how the AV operates, on my own prior experience with endless procrastination, and on the assumption that you consider your dependence a problem which you want to resolve. You are, of course, free to reject it. I trust that you know what you want from your life far better than I do, and that you will finally resolve your addiction when you see fit to do so.