Old 09-04-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Dalek

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
True, I have not "made" a Big Plan. I've said it, but haven't grasped it yet. The Beast is all over me the moment I open the thought. I know the previous sentence is technically incorrect, but what I mean to convey is that I am not yet convincing to myself.
The Beast will always cringe when contemplating making a Big Plan. This is the recoil effect, and it is universal. To the Beast, a Big Plan means death by deprivation, and the AV will almost certainly try to tell you that you shouldn't take such drastic measures, or that you don't really mean it.

There is no way to logically prove the Big Plan, but you can arrive at it through intuition, and ultimately, it does feel somewhat like a leap of faith. In TNC book, Jack compares it to jumping off a high dive into the water. You can watch others do it, but you don't really believe it is safe until after you yourself jump.

I see freshstart beat me to this and already made a reference to it.

As I read it, suggesting to someone that they ought to make a Big Plan is discouraged because the impetus for a successful Plan must come from oneself.
This is true, and not everyone who reads here or posts here is going to decide "never again", nor do I think they should on account of me. I do assume that people posting on an addiction recovery forum are conflicted about their own use of intoxicants, however, and that they probably drink/use too much for their own good. Ultimately, though, their addiction is all theirs, and it will necessarily continue until they decide to end it.

... the reason I suggested a “little plan” the other day is that I need distance from the booze to actually “hear” the clamor in my head when I say in a moment of calm and non-desperation “I will never drink again.” Once I have that going on, I think I will be on my way.
It's certainly possible. AVRT is easy in practice, but impossible to grasp with a drink in either hand. I think you already know this, but just be aware that the Beast will necessarily try to put off quitting forever.