Old 09-04-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Obladi
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by Dalek View Post
Except that Obladi has not made a Big Plan, so she will have difficulty seeing this contrast. Still undecided about whether or not she wants to keep drinking, the inner debate ("should I or shouldn't I") will probably continue unabated. Just the way it works.
Beast is the desire for pleasure produced by alcohol and other drugs.
Addictive Voice is the expression of that desire in your thoughts and feelings.
Other recovery paradigms don't generally make this distinction, between the desire and the expression of that desire, but AVRT does, and this distinction can help in separating from the Beast.
True, I have not "made" a Big Plan. I've said it, but haven't grasped it yet. The Beast is all over me the moment I open the thought. I know the previous sentence is technically incorrect, but what I mean to convey is that I am not yet convincing to myself. However, I DO get that there is a distinction between AV and the Beast and this is very helpful. Need to continue to work on parsing out "I" from It.
You are afraid of the Beast, and are trying to silence the AV, which can't be done. You fear that if the Beast will not stop barking, that you will succumb to its demands. The problem is, every time you respond, you encourage it, and like an encouraged dog, it just keeps barking, expecting that you will eventually get tired of debating and drink.
BTW, have you read the "RR: The New Cure" book?
You are correct; I’m intimidated by the Beast.
I have read the book (and the entire discussion here), and am following the advice to read a second time.
People like to say this, but with AVRT, it would be more accurate to say that nothing works, but that anyone can quit. By "works", people usually mean that the desire to get drunk/high is removed, but AVRT makes no such promise, and if you think AVRT "works" in this fashion, you may be disappointed.
I am under no such illusion. I “get” this. It’s strikingly similar to the approach taken by ACT (Acceptance Commitment Therapy). “Let the goblins and ghouls clamor! They can’t actually harm you.”
Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
For some reason, this question is typically is asked this way: Are you ready to make a plan for your continued use of alcohol?
As I read it, suggesting to someone that they ought to make a Big Plan is discouraged because the impetus for a successful Plan must come from oneself. So this is where I am looking. And the reason I suggested a “little plan” the other day is that I need distance from the booze to actually “hear” the clamor in my head when I say in a moment of calm and non-desperation “I will never drink again.” Once I have that going on, I think I will be on my way.
Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
So while I absolutely think the Big Plan is critical—and it also happens to make everything simpler, because it makes my AV so easy to spot—I think your progress so far has been impressive, Obladi.
Thank you. I am impatient with myself on this, feel like I should have already gotten it because I think I get it. (AV says “See, you can’t even follow through on things you know are right for you.”)

I appreciate all of your responses. You are a very helpful and perceptive crowd. Thanks for being here.