Old 09-04-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Dalek

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
AV is any thought or feeling which goes against your Big Plan. You can see AV for what it is by the contrast. That contrast is the point of recognition of YOUR AV.
Except that Obladi has not made a Big Plan, so she will have difficulty seeing this contrast. Still undecided about whether or not she wants to keep drinking, the inner debate ("should I or shouldn't I") will probably continue unabated. Just the way it works.

Its not so much the voice of the Beast, really. The Beast is addiction desire. It uses your thoughts against you in a manner to hide its true nature, which is to satisfy its addictive desire ie get you to drink alcohol.
A couple of technical points...

Beast is the desire for pleasure produced by alcohol and other drugs.

Addictive Voice is the expression of that desire in your thoughts and feelings.

Addictive Voice is not the same thing as Beast.

AV is to Beast as bark is to dog.

Just as "bark" is not the same as "dog", AV is not the same as Beast.

Other recovery paradigms don't generally make this distinction, between the desire and the expression of that desire, but AVRT does, and this distinction can help in separating from the Beast.

The Beast may bark, and I can hear that bark, but I can recognize the source (the Beast) as being "out there" somewhere, just as I would recognize a dog being "out there" somewhere if I heard a dog bark in the middle of the night but couldn't actually see the dog.

We don't want to engage our Beast because there is no reason to argue with something that is all bluff and bravado, smoke and mirrors, etc. Why waste our time?
Precisely. I may hear the Beast barking, but have you ever talked back to a barking dog? It usually leads to the dog barking some more to puff itself up in response, especially if it your 'bark' wasn't very forceful and the dog senses weakness. The Beast works the same way, and talking back to the AV will usually only make the Beast bark some more.

In AVRT, "white knuckling" is debating with the AV.