Old 03-14-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
JeffreyAK

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Perhaps I dont quite understand what is meant by the use of immoral , but lying, cheating, ducking are immoral acts, kinda makes the doer of such things immoral by definition.
Who's the doer? That's the inconsistency I see in Trimpey's view, one of many fundamental errors IMO - you can't split yourself in two and call part of you the "AV" or "The Beast", someone else, yet not acknowledge there is a difference between YOU the person and that other person you become as an addict. I find it easier to accept the view that is consistent with science, that addiction changes your brain and can indeed change your character and even morals, but there is a core you that returns when you abstain for a significant period of time, and has a lot of 'splaining to do to significant others, employers, etc. This change is caused by the alcohol itself, not any fundamental moral defects, and to varying degrees it happens to billions of people.

I'm sorry for the harm I caused, but all I can do is do better, and I'm certainly not an immoral person for having become an alcohol addict, no more than I would if I had been struck by temporary schizophrenia. Yes, I chose to drink, but I did not choose to become an addict, and Trimpey's notion that it was a hedonistic pursuit of pleasure is laughable.

But, if others wish to carry a cross around and feel defective, they can do that. I'm too busy being a productive citizen, as I was before I became an addict but now with a much wiser and integrated worldview.