Old 03-14-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Greenwood618

I should clarify because I advocated this position in this thread.

Chronic drunkeness is not a result of spiritual bankruptcy. It is merely a hyper-hedonistic drive for pleasure that has become commingled with the survival drives and is mistakenly believed to be one of them.

So let's get that straight. It ensnares perfectly fine people (along with its share of bums as well).

Now let me ask this:

1. Is premeditated homicide of an innocent person that is not in the defense of another innocent person immoral?

2. Is sexual assault immoral?

3. Is battery immoral?

4. Is adultery immoral?

5. Is theft immoral?

I think most of us would agree the answer is yes, silly conditions and one-off situations discounted.

The moral equation as it relates to chronic drunkeness is this: if under the influence of alcohol, if any of these immoral acts become more likely, is not the predicate act of consuming alcohol also immoral?

Let's examine in greater depth:

1. Homicide - drunken driving speaks for itself. I would say 90 percent of the people here are guilty and most of us lucky to have never killed or hurt someone.

2. Sexual assault - I would say few people ever get there, but the correlation is strong in date rapes, etc.

3. Battery - Related to the drunk driving; injuring another as opposed to killing.

4. Adultery - what goes on the back booths and parking lots.

5. Theft - what you do to your boss most every morning.

So I do have to insist that drinking in the face of these consequences is a moral outrage. I would agree that most of the people who continue to drink are not innately immoral, but they have abandoned their humanity to the party animal and it's siren song for dope.