Old 04-27-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SLady

Hi Spintires,

I am the wife of an acoa.

Both my husband and BIL left home at a young age to get away from their alcoholic father. My BIL left home at 18. He joined the Air Force and went overseas to train as a pilot. My husband left home at 20. After they move out, they wanted nothing more to do with their father.

Are you in any position to move out of your family home? IMHO, this is the first thing you need to do – to move out and get yourself out of the situation so that you do not have to face the same **** every day since it seems to me you have reached the end of the rope and at risk of harming yourself if you stay.

Is there someone you can talk to and confide in so that you don’t feel you all alone struggling with this problem?
Originally Posted by spintires View Post
he promised me he'll change
My husband and BIL never tried to change their alcoholic father or stop him from drinking. Instead, they try their best to be the father to their own children the father they never had. In doing so, they managed to break the cycle of dysfunction that has been running in the family for many generations. They do struggle with their acoa issues but have never turn to alcohol or drugs.