View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Well, I suppose it's just a case of deciding to stop trying to argue with the world about the unfairness of it. Yep, it is a but of a bum deal. But people have worse things to deal with. After all, we can choose to work on our recovery and have absolutely amazing lives. We get to have all those promises come true if we want - how amazing is that?! All we have to do is stop fighting and say, it is what it is, but there is a solution.

Gratitude is a pretty amazing tool against the "It's not fair"s. I bet you, like me, can think of pretty much hundreds of things that you have access to that a massive % of people on the world can only dream of having. And that's before we even get sober.

I found that a good question to ask myself in the middle of a self-pity attack was "Do you WANT to be happy or are ya just having a rant because it makes you feel strong to be angry?"

Acceptance isn't what makes our alcoholism so.
But lack of it (denial) is what keeps us ensnared in it in its active form.

Have you done your step 1 with your sponsor? I'm kind of presuming that you have and that it's not that you don't recognise that you're an alcoholic. More that you're using up so much energy in howling for the moon and resentment wishing it weren't so that you have no energy or time for working on your recovery.
Honestly - the recovery work takes up a lot less energy and time, and is a lot less painful than living in the mire of all that rage and resentment and self-loathing. You can just choose not to attach yourself to those things. At first you might need to make that decisions every 2 minutes. But after a while it'll just be once every 10 minutes, then every half hour, etc etc.til you find that resentment has lifted.
The resentment prayer is helpful. Do you pray or meditate? I remember thinking the meetings were pretty much 'it' and being so shocked when I found out about the daily work that people were doing on their own. Thing is, it's much less like hard work than living like I used to was. Chances are you'll find the same thing.

BB