View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
ProfessorD

Originally Posted by DarklingSong View Post
I very much relate,
my longest stretch was 6 months and I still hadn't managed to find a way to calm myself the way alcohol used to. Having said that, I have learnt that for me, any calmness I get is gone within hours, only to be replaced by days of tension, misery and hopelessness. Although I know this, alcohol has proved such a powerful anaesthetic in the past I still often long for that state. I have to remind myself that it doesn't work anymore. There is no going back.
Just a couple of things that have helped me....none are as instant as wine but they are effective-
- as mentioned earlier a heat pad (really it does help!)
-epsom salts bath followed by alternating bursts of a warm and cold shower......it seems to 'turn down' the nervous system
-massage or a visit to an osteopath.
I know my AV tells me I will never be calm or relaxed without wine again, but the reality is wine just brings far greater pain.
Thanks, Darkling! Yes, I think I need to fully embrace the fact that drinking brings high highs and devastatingly low lows. I'm never going to have the high again, maybe. But nothing is as bad as the lows. Hard to remember in the moment, thought.