View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
I'm just wondering, is it possible that what you're missing, by reading links and books and thinking, is meetings and a sense of personal fellowship? There are lots of meetings that aren't AA, and AA wasn't my choice either, but for example SMART has lots of face-to-face meetings, and in some parts of the country Lifering does too. There are also outpatient medical treatment meetings, and I still occasionally (few times a year) stop by a drop-in meeting after 7+ years just to kinda remind myself of where I used to be so I don't forget. Online forums like this are great, but many (most?) people do better if they include face-to-face contact and a sense of accountability to other people they personally know. Just what I've experienced and seen with others, and sounds like might be missing from what you described above?
When I was in inpatient treatment I was exposed to 12-step recovery. There are many things that don't work for me. For starters I don't believe in a higher power and I feel that I am truly the only one who has the power to control my addiction. I also don't make friends very easily, so I have a hard time associating with people at meetings. It is a fine program that helps many people, but I just don't think I am one of them.

The IOP idea is interesting though. I have also participated in these in the past and found that it mostly consisted of filling out worksheets, most of which I had already done in inpatient. They were also very 12 step based. This was a number of years ago and it is my understanding that treatment models have changed quite a bit over the years. My ex-wife is the director of a large substance abuse program and she tells me that is not how they do things anymore, When I was in inpatient I found the group sessions to be the most helpful of anything (especially the mens groups) I appreciate the suggestion and am going to look into this. Unfortunately I live in a small area and SMART or Lifering groups are not an option, but I need to go out and do the work if I am going to find the answers.

Thanks again to everyone for their support and suggestions