Thread: Original Denial
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

I like that AVRT gives names to things important to taking personal responsibility in achieving permanent abstinence. “Original denial” is one of those names.

When is the Beast born? Using the defined terms in AVRT it is born when non-dependent drinking transitions into chemical dependency. So, when a drinker comes up with the denial, “Ohhh, anything that feels this good can’t be wrong.” is when the transition occurs.

I think the key is in the new obstinancy of the “can’t be wrong”. It could even be stated “can’t ever be wrong”. It justifies to the drinker the sensibility of drinking dependently. The logic that drunken behavior is going to happen again and might result in some bad social consequences needs a strong counterforce. The force of a never-wrong survival appetite is one of the most powerful forces imposable upon the human mind. This condition of chemical dependency is relatively stable internally. I want it and IT wants it. Just try to be careful. You can do it. It’s all worth it.

People using alcohol and drugs is possibly the largest socio-economic subcategory on earth.

When “non-dependent use” transitions to “chemical dependency” it then can transition to “addiction” (dependent using against one’s own better judgement). That’s when AVRT comes in very handy and can transition an addict into a “common teetotaler”. “I will never drink again” named The Big Plan. AVRT is specifically designed for that very purpose.

AVRT can also help a person transition from “chemical dependency” to “addiction” wherein the “can’t ever be wrong” is finally confronted with the truth. “Yes, I see it now after all I’ve done, it is ALWAYS wrong, and I know I’d better knock it off for good.”

How long people remain in any of the four above named conditions is quite variable. Here they are again with the fifth one we are all born into.

Abstainer - at physical birth
Non-dependent drinker - after deciding to drink
Chemical dependency - upon the birth of the BEAST (it can’t be wrong)
Addiction - realizing Yes, it is wrong for me. (an unstable condition)
Common teetotaler - same as at physical birth (but with AV awareness)