View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 02:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
AlericB

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
However with the booze I am not having to deal with the emotions. It has been great. I know I can not continue this way.
Hi Tyler,

From you what you say, this may be the reason you're drinking at the moment.

You said you welcome advice so here's my two-penneth . I know you're part way through the TFM book at the moment so I'm assuming the model resonates with you in some ways.

This post by Steven Slate: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post6837750 (The Freedom Model for Addictions - 2) talks about this issue of how we can believe that drink can help us deal with our emotions but that by using the "drug, set, setting" model we can come to see that this belief is not true. Just to quote this from the post:

..the pleasure of substances is highly subjective, and constructed not only of pharmacology, but also of our mindset about substances. We use the "drug, set, setting" model to dissect drug effects, to show that it's possible to reach a point where they do not appear as desirable to you as they once did.

My advice then is to post on TFM thread and ask for further explanation of how to do this. Hopefully Steven will be able to pick it up.

All the best.