Thread: ??
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
I drank 4 glasses of wine last night after almost 5 months sober. I got great job news. I wanted to "celebrate", which was messed up since the only reason I got the new job was bc I'd been not drinking and instead pulling my life together.
Your Beast doesn't care at all about your new job, your life, or anything else, for that matter. It only cares about staying alive, by convincing you to feed it that precious survival stuff that it craves and needs. To your Beast, alcohol is food, water, and oxygen -- rolled up into one convenient package.

I'm scared and disappointed.
Good. You are rightfully afraid of where you might be headed if you don't get a grip very soon. That is you, in your right mind.

I thought I'd made my Big Plan. Now what?
Whatever you do, don't let your Beast use this as an opportunity to 'prove' that you are incompetent to abstain, by suggesting that you 'failed' to stay sober. If it has not done so already, it will probably try that card soon enough.

We don't do relapses, failure, or incompetence with AVRT. The Beast is a quadriplegic, and you are always in control. You may have failed to recognize your Addictive Voice, and carried out its dictates, but at the end of the day, you actually succeeded at drinking.

You are an educator by trade, no? You've apparently secured a new job, which you consider a good thing, by finding something more constructive to do than getting drunk all the time. Do you now want to screw that up, by placating and feeding that sociopath within?

You've tried chemical warfare on the Beast, by trying to neuter it with Naltrexone, in the hope that you might be one of the lucky ones who can drink moderately without getting into big trouble. Your Beast apparently wasn't deterred by chemical castration, however, and that experiment led to you driving drunk in a blackout.

What would happen to your career if you were to get charged with a DUI? If you were to kill or maim some poor bystander while driving drunk? What would your students, and your present and future potential employers, think about your judgement, credibility, and competence?

Your Beast will tell you that you can be like others who drink without problems, and borrow from statistics that show that some people do pull it off. You, however, are keenly aware that you do not, in fact, drink like most people, who do so without putting themselves and others in danger.

The Beast's house of cards is built upon the foundation that AVRT calls Original Denial -- the idea that there is nothing wrong with drinking, in and of itself. This may be true for those whose drinking doesn't lead to big problems, but not so true for those with a proven history of bad judgment while under the influence.

Given your own past experience with alcohol, and your well-founded fear of where you might be headed if you continue to drink alcohol, is it right or wrong for you, in the moral sense, to ever drink again?

By the way, have you read through the main AVRT discussion threads? AVRT is education, not treatment. You must learn, just as your students do, and then administer your own cure.