View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 03:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Buckley3 View Post
I pictured myself getting up just before sunrise, enjoying a fresh brewed espresso or dark roasted coffee in the stillness of the morning. Walking down a beach as the sun rises or maybe even learning some yoga or tai chi or something.

I am a firm believer in visualizing a new reality. Replacing my drinking fantasies with new fantasies. I don't really want to be the Karate Kid, but I have my own dreams that don't involve alcohol.

For decades my mind would turn toward drinking fantasies during the dozens of boring or stressful moments of the day. Even when I was trying to quit drinking it would go there. That was my 'happy space'. It would go there and I would let it. It seemed OK to muse about happy drinking times, knowing I was never going to act on them.

Now I can see that thinking is very very wrong. Allowing my brain to roam there was tilling the soil for my next relapse/bender. I don't permit it to go there anymore. It still wants to. It's lazy and wants to go down well-worn paths it has gone down many times before.

I. Don't. Let. It.
(I give it the Crane Kick! )

Keep posting Buckley. I'm loving your stuff!