Thread: Son's GF
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
qwer1234

Son's GF

My 23 yo son has a history of alcohol use. He is 6 months into his DUI sentence. Due to get smart start removed in May. His 18 yo live in gf who is also 6 months pregnant told me yesterday that she believes he is drinking at night and lying about it to her.

I am divorced from his dad due to alcoholism. So bad that he lost job, medical license, family, visitation. Father has been sober for 9 years (after divorce) and works the program.

GF is the daughter of divorce and her father is an alcoholic.

I spoke to her about AlAnon and suggested we try a few meetings. (She lives 3 hours from home and our family is her support network.) She is in school and works part time. They are going away this weekend on a Babymoon, I suggested that she and he try to talk more. I know my son is unwilling/unable to discuss feelings and I suspect she is similar b/c due to issues in her FOO and with her step father's abuse.

My challenge is the trigger that this has is for me. I want to cry it makes me so sad to see my son doing to another generation what his father did to him. It makes me want to tell her to run now before she invests too much and not to stay to long. I see me in her and I just want to cry b/c I wish I'd left years earlier.

Are there other ideas out there? If I'm overstepping please let me know....she came to me so I tried to give the best counsel I could.

qwer