View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

Originally Posted by AlericB View Post
As well as with his optical illusion post, JeffreyAK gave a good example of this earlier:

We see matter as something solid located in three-dimensional space but physics tells us that it is not like that it all and talks about, for example, electrons as being probability-waves in 11-dimensional Hilbert space only collapsing into particles under specific conditions of measurement. And even then, only the probability of finding them at a specific location can be predicted according to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle which says that particles can't be assigned both a determinate position and momentum at the same time.

Whatever all this means, the world has a deep and complex mathematical structure and is nothing like the world we see and touch and feel. It is certainly not made of matter in the sense of solid bits of stuff, precisely located in 3-dimensional space.

Another example would be that we see each other as solid bodies however the reality is that we are made up of atoms with swirling electrons. Our perception, the way that things appear to us, is clearly not an accurate guide of the way things really are.
There are categories of difference in our understanding of 'things' ,yes? Eg What?, How ?,and (deity notwithstanding forbid) Why?

Scientific knowledge and its ruthlessly and relentlessly logical language of the 'maths' give us the How answers. But the starting point has to be philosophic , no ? We first have to identify the What before we can apprehend the How it works.

The question I was commenting on , the validity of the senses , is basically the same debate western philo has been having since Plato and Aristotle , no ?

I'm way more Aristotelian when I stub my toe