View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 07:04 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
grayghost1965

I've never needed the meetings either - I was court mandated several years ago, but when that ended, so did my interest in meetings. Of course I didn't stay sober that time, but for the last 13 months I've been fine without them. For me, it's been a question of "do I want misery and pain, or happiness/contentment ?" It's a no brainer. I am fortunate to have family and friends who are supportive, but don't treat me like a terminally ill person if I'm at an event/function where there is alcohol.

Everyone knows, so no one offers me anything, and a couple of times where it's been offered by someone that had no way of knowing, a polite refusal was enough. I've learned this valuable lesson - as long as you aren't interfering with someone else's good time, they aren't worried about whether you're drinking or not.

My faith has always been important to me, and I lean on that when I need to. Most importantly, I don't overanalyze/overthink things. I see that a lot on these forums, and I caution against that, though it is hard at times. Usually we already know the right answer/solution; we just need to trust ourselves more.

If meetings work for someone; great ! I'd say it doesn't matter how we stay on the right path, but THAT we do.