View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 10:17 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by RecklessEric View Post
CBT would suggest you don't ignore it.
You would argue with it.
"I really would like a cigarette. And I may even enjoy it. But I would be disappointed with myself and .....and so on".

With me, it was "I'm anxious, a drink will calm me down. But every time I drink, I end up more anxious after a night of being drunk and stupid. I can get through this anxiety without drinking because I have done so before. It's unpleasant, but there are things I can do while the anxiety lessens it's hold on me".

CBT helps identify the thought processes we go through.
My CBT guru suggested to passively observe your cravings. It worked for me. Fighting them just made them stronger.

I would also recognize the distorted thinking that they caused, and replace it with more rational thinking.

"Only a drink will calm me down."

"Look, a craving. It's also all-or-nothing thinking. There are many things that can calm me down, and the respite that alcohol will give will come back 10fold when the buzz wears off."

By that point the craving was pretty much gone.

I do have to say that cold-turkey cigarette quitting the first time (for 9 years) was the hardest thing I've ever done. Harder than any other drug. I picked up smoking in rehab and smoked for about 100 days. That time I just decided not to buy another pack in the morning when I ran out, but would get some later if I felt the need. I never felt the need. That was in August.

I think the Wellbutrin also helped.

I had a lot of help to quit smoking the first time, with Chantix. Alcohol cessation was in rehab under medical detox.